Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Why the Fall Rocks

The fall season is great because it allows time to reflect on the season that was but also what lofty goals are in store for 2018. I've been thinking a lot about Ironman of late. I'm not at the point where I would sign up for another one but I've been back and forth on if I would regret not getting the Ironmans done that would get me a Legacy spot in Hawaii. I currently sit at 10 Ironman races and I need 12 to qualify for the Legacy Program. It probably will take 13 or 14 as the program has been hugely successful. 

I am confirmed for Mont Tremblant 70.3. I was registered this year but a lingering back injury prevented me from toeing the line. In addition, my Dad was battling illness and, unfortunately, lost. I reflected on what I would look back on once my day comes and my feeling is this: I'm able to do this now and hope to for many years - it's time to use or lose it. 

 The weather has been spectacular. I've not ridden without sleeves this late into October. I know it won't last but it has eased the disappointment of the summer we had. The fall is always a time where I work on my run. I love getting to the trails and getting back to nature. I up my frequency and try to get 5 runs in per week til the new year when I will be into more regular triathlon training. I'm back on the trainer a couple of times a week when the weather is not good. I may incorporate some shorter races to test my speed here and there should I feel like it too.

Finally this time of year is great for getting together with some awesome people. Sara and I are blessed to have some fantastic friends - in fact, we see many of them as family. We definitely have lots of laughs and we also have each others backs. Equally the people I have met through triathlon have enriched our lives and I've learned so much along the way despite the fact I've been at since 1984!



I see some first time try-a-tri participants next year in this pic!! A couple of ladies came out to see a triathlon for the first time and were totally inspired. I can't wait - I know they will be hooked. 

Cheers to lofty goals and doing epic shit in 2018!!

No comments:

Post a Comment