Wednesday, April 10, 2019

Spring Is Here!

This winter was not fun to say the least - it was one of the colder ones we've had. Because of this and having done one 70.3 and two Ironmans last year (last one in mid November), I took an extended break from training to allow some much needed recovery. Allowing myself to become a little deconditioned was good for me to prevent burnout and allow my body to rest. After a couple of months I started to get into a regular routine around mid January. Now that spring is here I'm looking forward to getting outside. Pictured above is one of the new additions to the stable. I want to incorporate some mountain biking to mix things up and bring some fun.

 I have made some decent gains from Zwift this winter. I did an outdoor 72km ride outside and I was surprised how good I felt. I will continue to use it once a week even during the summer. I look harmless don't I?!!

We've enjoyed some family activities as well. One of our favourites is Logan's special needs soccer. We've been doing this now for several years and we have so much fun.



Here's the other addition to the stable! Sara's new Cervelo P3. She was due for a new ride and this bike is awesome. This past weekend was its maiden voyage and Sara reports that it handles like a dream. Oh and the colour is awesome too according to her!


This August I will be back in Mont Tremblant for my 13th Ironman. Ironically, it will be 30 years almost to the day since my first Ironman in 1989 at Ironman Canada. I was 23 then and had no idea what I was getting myself into. I had been doing triathlons since 1984. I'm writing this from Windsor at the moment which was the site of my first race - an Olympic distance race.

I remember doing a half ironman (they went called 70.3 back then) the weekend before the Ironman in Orillia. There was no internet, coaching and there was a quarterly magazine - not much guidance available to recommend not doing a long race one week out. I was okay in Penticton til about the 16k point in the marathon and I did a lot of walking and shuffling from there. Nevertheless it was a life changing event and I still remember details like it was yesterday. 

Here's to creating more in Mont Tremblant - Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment