HAPPY NEW YEAR 2011!!
As we embark on a new year with new goals or resolutions, new challenges, and undoubtedly some obstacles ahead it is important to find inspiration to keep us moving forward, to not give up and see our goals to the end. An example of one BAMF can be seen in the following link (pretty cool feat): http://news.sympatico.ctv.ca/home/marathon_man_runs_total_of_10500_km_in_2010_for_charity/79e42847
If that's not enough how about Dick and Ricky Hoyt - it doesn't get any better! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z22s5DzqQdQ&feature=related
That is an amazing story!!
I have some goals for 2011:
1) Keep Balanced - with this being an Ironman year (IM Lake Placid) this will be of utmost importance. I resolve to manage my time so as to get the training in but, more importantly, be a good father, hubby, worker, THEN a triathlete.
2) Be Adventurous - try new things, get out of the comfort zone on a regular basis
3) Achieve a level of fitness where my aerobic pace is fast - to do this I will concentrate on sound technique and become efficient at swim, bike and run
4) Be better at staying in contact with friends - I know, being a guy, this is usually not something I think about but I have great friends so why not spend more time in contact with them!
5) I'm doing Ironman but there's another triathlete in the house - I resolve to support Sara's race goals. I believe 2011 is the year Sara will get her health back on track!
6) Cheer my mates for pursuing their goals - whether it be Ironman, going back to school, pursuing a new career - there are great stories in my circle of friends!
7) Continue to realize that I'm very lucky to have what I have - I'm comfortable, have all that I need, and in good health. There are many people in the world who are doing more with much less - I could learn from them.
8) Stay healthy - a no-brainer but I resolve to recognize the signs of overtraining (Sara's helps me out), eat well, and get proper rest
I look forward to the challenge of chasing these goals and I hope y'all achieve yours too!!
My 2011 Race Plan (as of Jan 1, 2011):
1) Grimsby Half Mary - late Feb
2) Around the Bay 30k - late March
3) Mississauga Half Mary - May
4) Muskoka Training Weekend (not a race but an epic weekend)
5) Epicman - June9/10 - another epic training block in Lake Placid
6) Welland HIM - late June
7) Ironman Lake Placid (hello 45-49 age group!)
8) Muskoka 70.3
9) Hamilton Marathon - November
With these race goals the key will be to stay healthy - it can be done if I don't go overboard! Thanks in advance Sara for keeping me from doing so!! Below is a little "funny" to launch the New Year - stay thirsty my friends!